Friday, May 3, 2013

Variety-- More than just a spice

I find that when I do the same thing day after day, I tend to feel alone, forlorn, and saddened. I have always been one who needed variety. A little bit here and a little bit there. A change of scenery, a different sort of food, and a change in my routine. I'm not the only one.

Today, I found a toy of my daughter's that had been lost for weeks. She had been demanding my attention for hours, and I needed a break. I found that toy, and gave it to her, and she has been happily playing with it for almost an hour. None of her other toys hold her attention for more than a few minutes at a time.

I think when we have something consistently before us, we forget to appreciate them for their full value. I often wonder how many things we fail to thank God for, just because we don't think of living without them! It's the epitome of taking things for granted.

For example, I doubt many of my readers have thanked God for the ability to stand, because it's one of those amazingly natural things that you just do without thinking. I wonder how much I see before I praise God for my vision. Perhaps variety is good not just for bringing new things to us, but for making us appreciate the things that are ever before us. It is late, and my daughter is crying, so I'm cutting this one very short. Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment