Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Be still and know

Life as a young mother is busy. Yet as filled as my days are, my mind seems doubly filled with plans, worries, schedules, thoughts, and so much more! It's hard to just be. My daughter reminded me today of just how important that is.

My daughter is just learning to crawl. She is fascinated with her surroundings, as though she's seeing everything for the first time. She wants to touch everything, and, of course, whatever she touches must go in her mouth. She was very busy today, and reminded me of a bee as she went from one thing to another to another. She never settled on one thing for very long.

As I watched her, it dawned on me that my days are filled with very much the same thing. My mind flits from one thing to another, never settling long enough to really solve anything. Rather than resolving to change, my mind jumped some more, and I was soon consumed with probably a dozen different thoughts. I was concerned about the present, mulling over the future, and attempting to puzzle it all out so that it would all work.

While my mind had all gears turning, my daughter began to fuss. I picked her up and set her in my lap. She is at the age where she almost never sits still. This was an exception. She just sat on my lap for almost an hour! I'm ashamed to admit that for the first while, my mind continued to run full speed on multiple tracks. However, my daughter frequently came up, no matter which track my mind pursued. Every time I considered her, I was overwhelmed with how wonderful it felt to have her sit in my arms. I grew increasingly astounded and touched as she sat.

Eventually, I was more consumed with the treasure of holding my daughter than anything else. I looked at my little girl, and the engine in my brain slowed down. The steam ceased, and I just sat, enjoying the moment. That was a special moment, indeed. My daughter and I, just sitting and enjoying each others' company.

There have been many times when I've learned a lesson from my daughter. This was one of those examples. As she sat quietly in my lap, I thought of Mary and Martha, and how our Lord valued the time Mary spent sitting at His feet more than all the efforts of Martha to get things done. I was instantly convicted. Honestly, I haven't been sitting before God like I should. It occurred to me as I sat just holding my darling daughter that God wants the same thing of me. I treasured the time with my daughter, and I need to do the same with my God.

I need to set aside my thoughts, worries, plans, and possibilities, and just learn of God. I need to be still and know that He is God. It will only be then that I can put everything in proper perspective.

I was looking for a song by Soundforth, but found these instead:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVk9J2BvJG8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLb5SEVMTaA 

No comments:

Post a Comment