Friday, February 22, 2013

Angels among us

Growing up, I listened to Alabama. They have a song that I felt was played out today. "I believe there are angels among us..."

Last night, I dreamed about the good times I had with my husband. The times that I still miss and make me sad to have to go. I dreamed that he was laughing with me and stroking my hair, and as I reached over, my hand hit the bed. Reality was a nightmare to wake up to. It set a dark mood for the whole day. My current situation was set in direct contrast to the best times of my marriage. I wore the pain like a cloak.

My daughter was still asleep, so I made my way to the kitchen. If I didn't eat then I may not get another chance. The fridge and the cupboards were filled with undesired options. Against my better judgement, I curled up on the couch, allowing the sadness to overtake me. In that moment, my phone rang. A dear friend called and offered just the encouragement I needed.

She and I hadn't spoken since I had called her early in January, shortly after I discovered the scary truths of my husband. I told her about God leading me to state B and the incredible laws that worked so perfectly to ensure my daughter's safety. I told her about the lawyer, and about my plans to move out on my own. In talking with her, I was able to look past the pain to tell her all the blessings. She even gave me amazing ideas for finding students to tutor.

We hung up with me focusing on God and the future rather than the past and its pain. So many people have been just the people I needed at that moment, and I am beginning to wonder if I'm not surrounded by angels.

No comments:

Post a Comment