Wednesday, January 16, 2013

My least favorite 4 letter word: wait

Good evening!

I mentioned on Monday that I met with an attorney, but I didn't tell you much about it, because with everything else, it would have ended up being an impossibly long post. I'm trying to keep these easily read and digested.

The attorney said that getting divorced in my original state is not a good idea at this point, because we're not sure if my husband will end up being able to stay in that state. The state laws require mandatory counseling, and if I get divorced there, and he leaves, then I'm stuck trying to figure out what, if anything, can be done.

The local laws dictate that I have to have lived in this state for at least 6 months before I can file for a divorce, and it would be insanely expensive.

There is a third possibility... if my husband does move to another state, I could potentially get a divorce there at that point. Or, of course, if he stays in that original state, I could go back there and get free legal representation, so I would only be out $250.

SO many unknowns! The only thing I do know about this situation is that my daughter and I are happily out of that situation for the time being. :) And, of course, I know for a fact that God is looking out for us!

In fact, as I left the attorney's office thinking about compromise. The attorney said that if we could come to an agreement, it would "only" cost $2,000. My child's father is only looking to get joint legal custody. It means that if I have an untimely death, she gets raised by him. I can't let that happen! Those of you who know the situation know why. Those who don't, I throw you a bone: When she was 2 months old, he was saying how surprised he was that she already had so much breast definition. After his history, this scared me to death, and things happened later that sent me running for her safety. And here I am.

Anyway, I digress. I left the attorney, thinking that I would compromise. The radio came on as I turned the key in the ignition, and a sermon about waiting on God poured into the car. The preacher said that God gives us point A and we want to run and think about everything else, but God doesn't give us points B,C,D,E, F, and following. He gives us point A, and then he directs when He is ready for us to step towards B, He directs at that time.

So, I am standing at A and waiting...

No comments:

Post a Comment