Friday, September 27, 2013

Showers of blessings

It has been too long, but I know some people still look for updates, so I need to share this miraculous way that God is proving Himself real in my life.

As you may know, I am getting a divorce to save my child from a life of pain and heartache. It was a decision thrust upon me, and I had no choice but to move forward. Being someone determined to never get a divorce, I have not taken this well, but I know this is what God would have me do. And God is proving Himself real in many ways.

The last time I wrote, I was stuck between 2 bad decisions. I could either go through a lawyer who knew her stuff, but was expensive at a $2,500 minimum. My other choice involved free assistance, but though I was told I qualify, they only took the first 15 callers in a one hour period 3 days a week. I called and called, but I never got through. I got tired of hearing the busy signal that I had once thought was a thing of the past.

I didn't want to start life as a single mom with handing over $2,500. It just seemed like I wouldn't be wise use of my money with this option. But after months of calling to get a pro-bono lawyer, I was feeling like I was getting nowhere. I researched filing the papers myself, and discovered that it would only be $500. As tempting as that was, I needed a lawyers input to ensure that my daughter stayed safe. I knew I wasn't qualified to make sure there were no loop holes.

I spend a lot of my time in the car driving to students' homes. It was on such a journey that I poured my heart out to God while my baby slept in her car seat. I begged God to help me decide which option I should choose. I told Him $2,500 is too much, and asked if He could find a way for the entire thing to cost no more than $1,000. I told Him I knew it could be free this other way, but that I felt I had hit a brick wall. Finally, I asked Him to show me which one I should do.

The more I prayed, the more I felt that God had something else prepared for me. I felt like God was going to bring something perfect and plop it into my lap. I decided it was time I abandon the other ideas. I began researching to try to find another lawyer, and while I did, my eyes fell on an ad that intrigued me. "Get and uncontested divorce for $750!" It seemed too good to be true, but I clicked on the link and landed on a page that had everything I was searching for.

I called and discussed the case with one of the paralegals. She told me that with the filing fees, the divorce would be about $1,000. I hung up the phone, and turned a tear-streamed face to my God Who hears and answers prayers. God is proving Himself real in a powerful way, and my heart is filled with praise.

As things stand now, my daughter's father and I are working together to get an uncontested divorce. (Can I tell you how incredible it is to be able to write that sentence??? God truly does turn hearts!) In a few weeks, I should file, and then it will take 60 days for the divorce to process.

There are those that have warned me that he may be working with lawyers and planning a surprise attack from behind. I hear them, and with wisdom, I am mentally lining up defenses and offenses in case I need to go to court. I don't think I'll have to, though. I really think I'm almost done, and I really know God is governing this divorce. I rest in His sovereign care, and I attempt to leave my worries at His feet.

God cares. Even when things are spiraling out of control, God cares. And He cares for you, too. I'd love to hear your testimony of God caring. It would be a great encouragement to me. Let's praise His name together!

No comments:

Post a Comment